After a short 3-day trip to Blue Ridge, I’m upset about my return to Memphis. Especially now that I have to start a 6-week treatment of radiation tomorrow. Every second that I spent at home felt amazing. In order for me to enjoy myself at home, I forced myself to forget about the nightmare that I had left behind in Memphis. This became challenging when I had family and friends around me constantly asking to know every detail about my treatment.
It’s been two months now since I got diagnosed with a brain tumor and it’s getting to the point where I just want to forget about this situation. I know I’m no longer a normal individual, but I would at least like to live the next 7 months of my life believing that I am.
During my time in Dallas, I got to visit with my sister and her beautiful family (Omar &Demetrio), my grandma, dad, and brother. Everyone welcomed me home with hugs and kisses. Being surrounded by so much love and support made me feel invincible. I spent most of my time hanging out with my sister and baby Demetrio. I love being around Demetrio because he is just so full of life. Carrying him and being able to hear him laugh brings warmth to my heart. He is my inspiration! Iris and I spent a lot of time shopping and eating sushi… My sister is such a wonderful person! My sister helps me fight through each and every day of my life. It brings joy to my life to know that in the end she will always be there for me. We have different personalities and different goals in life, but yet we know each other so well. I love you Iris and thank you for being a wonderful role model.
I had a 6-hour stem cell collection last Tuesday. It was a very long day at the hospital. We started our day off around 9 a.m. in the Blood Donor Room at St. Jude’s Hospital. Before starting the collection, I had to receive my fifth and final shot of G-CSF. After the shot was given, each arm was connected to an IV (One arm gives blood and the other receives the blood). My right arm was first to be pricked. It was pricked twice before being able to find a good vein. My left arm was next. My left arm was trouble since it had already been pricked so many times the week before from lab work. My poor veins were very sensitive and bruised by this time. I was pricked 3 times in this arm. First two attempts were frustrating. If by the third attempt my veins didn’t work, I would have to get a central line placed in my groin (No fun). At that time I prayed to God and once again he answered my prayers. The third attempt was a success and my veins held up very well during the 6-hour procedure.
A couple of hours after the collection, I received wonderful news from the doctors. I had collected enough stem cells for all fours cycles of chemotherapy. This meant no more stem-cell collections for me down the road. With this wonderful news, my mother and I were able to go home and rest in peace.
So to summarize, we had a great stem-cell collection last Tuesday and then a fun weekend with my family. Tomorrow, I start my first official day of Radiation. I look forward to starting treatment and am no longer frightened. I know that my Lord is with me and that I can do and defeat anything with him by my side.
No comments:
Post a Comment