(I apologize that some of these posts are kind of dry…I have to go back and type up what I can remember, and it’s not easy. I promise to make newer posts more interesting)
*I also added a post at the very bottom called "The Beginning" Please feel free to read.
A couple days before surgery, I went to the hospital for pre-testing (Blood work, x-rays, etc..) The day of surgery, I got to the hospital around 8a.m. Doctors didn’t get there until like 8:30a.m. That morning, I was taken to a pre-surgery room where a few nurses came in to take my blood pressure, check my temperature, and my vital signs. The first hour felt like 5 hours…having to wait on the doctor and just answering question after question.
I don’t really remember this day all that well, but I do remember getting to see my family and Derek before being taken back to the surgery room. After the mask went on the face, I was out and I don’t remember the next 7 hours of surgery.
About an hour after surgery, I woke up. I don’t remember being in any crazy pain or anything like that. I just remember being awake and talking to my family who was standing next to me. Doctor came in and said, “You should be good to be up and walking by tomorrow.” I felt a sigh of relief with the news.
I was placed in Intensive Care Overnight and then was taken to a normal hospital room the next day.
Intensive Care was a fun, yet unique experience. I was surrounded by a lot of old patients. I remember my nurse walking in and was like “Girl…What are you doing here? You’re too young to be in a hospital.” I was like…”Yeah, I know right?!” I remember moving my head for the first time in ICU. It was the scariest thing I’ve had to do in my life, but my nurse recommended that I try moving my head a little bit. She was like, “I promise it won’t fall off.” I attempted to turn my head to the left. There was so much pain that I stopped and cried. I didn’t want to move it anymore that I night, so I just went to sleep.
I was transferred to a regular room the next day. My tumor was sent to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center of Dallas for Pathology. Pathology studies and makes a diagnosis after looking at the tissue.
We received the pathology report on Thursday. I was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma-Type IV. Cancer is staged in types: I-IV. Type I being the least aggressive and Type IV being the most aggressive(malignant). Medulloblastoma is a highly malignant (cancerous) pediatric brain tumor that arises in the cerebellum. Medulloblastoma is more commonly found in young children ages 3-7. Rarely, it occurs in young adults (me). Treatment for Medulloblastoma includes surgery, 6 weeks of radiation, and 4 cycles (months) of chemotherapy.
I was in the hospital all week and wasn’t dismissed until that Friday, April 22nd. During the week, I was checked out by physical therapist and my neurosurgeon daily.
I was referred and accepted by St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN to receive further treatment.

No comments:
Post a Comment